To honor my 43rd birthday I decided to post a list of 43 things I’ve learned in my 43 years on the planet. Please note that while I’ve learned these things, that doesn’t mean I’m very good at them, but I keep trying. Also, these are things that are helpful to me. Your mileage may vary. Please share a favorite thing you’ve learned in the comments!
1. Be kind.
2. Be thankful.
3. Be forgiving.
4. You have to apply 1, 2 and 3 to yourself too.
6. Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
7. 98% of the crap that you got angry/upset about today will not matter next week. Let it go.
8. Pick your battles carefully.
9. You get better results from being nice to people than you do from being nasty.
10. This too shall pass. Life goes on. It’s even good again.
11. Things will work out. Probably not how you think they will, but they will work out.
12. It’s better to just do the thing you are avoiding. Even if it ends up being terrible, it will still be better than the anxiety you feel anticipating how terrible it will be.
13. You should laugh as much as possible. Big belly laughs.
14. People are not thinking about you as much as you think they are. Mostly they are thinking about themselves and their own problems.
15. The world is insanely beautiful.
16. Most people don’t have bad intentions. They are just struggling along trying to figure things out just like you.
17. The good old days weren’t as great as we think they were.
18. The present isn’t as terrible as we think it is.
19. Bad stuff happens to everyone. Mostly you can’t tell what kind of pain or heartache the people you meet are carrying. You should be nice to them.
20. The bad stuff makes the good stuff sweeter.
21. Not everyone thinks like you do. People have different perspectives. That’s OK.
22. Everything in moderation.
23. Be honest. It will reduce your anxiety level.
24. Before you say something, ask yourself if it’s true, if it’s kind and if it’s necessary.
25. Everyone is creative. A lot of us just forget.
26. Practice may not make perfect, but it will make you a lot better at just about anything.
27. There is great joy to be found in mastering a skill.
28. Holding grudges doesn’t really accomplish anything. Plus it wastes time that could be spent laughing.
30. You are a whole person with your own life. Relationships require compromise but they do not require you to be wholly subservient to another’s wishes.
31. Cousins are super awesome.
32. Reading is super awesome.
33. You can learn about almost anything from books.
34. The shirt I wear on game day may affect how my team plays. I have to be careful.
35. Feet just want to be free. A comfy pair of sneakers is good too.
36. You can never know the full depths of another person.
37. Bring a sweater. And a book.
38. I am enough. You are too.
39. Don’t let worries about what others will think hold you back: sing, dance, swim, do your thing and enjoy your life.
40. Cats are endlessly entertaining.
41. Eating junk and not exercising will drain my energy level.
42. When someone says something mean to you or about you, it’s not about you, it’s about them. Just think of all the negative junk they must be carrying around.
43. Have fun!